About Santa Barbara Car Free
Our mission: to encourage car free, carefree travel to and around Santa Barbara for cleaner air and a healthier planet.
Our partnership: we are a cooperative project, founded in 1998 and led by Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District, with support from more than 100 businesses, agencies, organizations and individuals.
Awards and Recognition
- 2014 Horizon Interactive Bronze Award for the “Take the Train” video series.
- 2009 National Clean Air Excellence Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act Advisory. The project was one of only 15 initiatives recognized in the U.S., and one of only 2 in California.
- 2004 Environmental Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 9 on April 20, 2004. The project was one of nine initiatives recognized in California, and one of thirty-six recognized in all of Region 9, which encompasses several states.
- 2004 Marketing Excellence Award for “Best Niche Marketing: Eco-Tourism” from California Travel and Tourism Commission March 24, 2004, at the annual California Tourism Conference.
- Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District and the project also were recognized in Profiles of Local Clean Air Innovation (2003, the National Association of Local Government Environmental Professionals). The project is featured in the books Walk Santa Barbara (Olympus Press) and Fun with the Family in Southern California (2006, Globe Pequot Press), has been covered in the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Seattle Times, San Diego Magazine, and more, and has been featured on travel websites, including National Geographic Traveler Online.
Santa Barbara Car Free project meetings are held on a regular basis to discuss activities and provide educational information about car-free options.
For More Information
For more information on this project, or to add or change information on this site:
- Email [email protected]
- Call (805) 696-1100