What could be better than a train ride along the scenic California coast to begin your vacation?
Read a book instead of struggling with street maps. Have a meal, or take a nap. You will arrive rested and ready to begin. Many hotels offer free pick-up and drop-off service, ask when making your reservations. Be sure to check out all the great savings on hotels, activities and dining when you take the train and show your ticket. Santa Barbara lies along the West Coast Amtrak route, served by the Pacific Surfliner® and Coast Starlight® routes. The train station is conveniently located in downtown Santa Barbara, an easy walk, or 50-cents shuttle ride (free with train ticket) from many downtown attractions Additional stations are located nearby in Carpinteria and in Goleta near the airport. Also see information on commuter options for the train coming in April.
The Pacific Surfliner offers five trains a day coming from San Diego through Los Angeles into Santa Barbara, with two continuing to San Luis Obispo. Many are new trains boasting larger windows, at-seat audio and video, laptop outlets, reclining seats with footrests, and surfboard racks. Roll on your bike and lock it up for free if you make an advanced reservation when ordering tickets.
The Coast Starlight train runs from Seattle, Washington through Portland, Oregon and Northern California to Santa Barbara and on to Los Angeles. On this route, you can enjoy wine tasting, gourmet meals, and on-board entertainment.
The Pacific Surfliner now offers a free transfer ticket program with the local transit service. See Free Transit Transfer Program Creates Convenient Connections for Pacific Surfliner Train Passengers. Want to take your bike on the train? For more information please see our page How to Take a Bike on Local Transit Services. Get maps and more info on How to Get Around.
Save 20% on Amtrak® Pacific Surfliner®
2020 Santa Barbara Car Free Train Discount
Save 20% on the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner® from San Diego, Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo and points between to and from any stations in Santa Barbara County!
- Save 20% on the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner® (plus associated thruway buses, except not valid on the 7000-8999 thruway series).
- Good for travel to or from the following Santa Barbara County Stations: Carpinteria, Santa Barbara, University of California Santa Barbara, Goleta, Guadalupe, Lompoc, Surf, Solvang, Santa Maria and Buellton.
- Valid for purchase through December 19, 2020 and for travel between January 4, 2020 and December 22, 2020
- Tickets must be purchased three days in advance through a link on this website (instructions below)
- Not valid for certain holiday periods (dates below)
- Up to one (1) child age (2-12) may accompany each adult at half the regular full adult rail fare
Instructions for the Santa Barbara Car Free Train Discount
Select your route and datesFind the route and dates you wish to travel. Write down the schedule, but do not book yet. For schedules and information go to Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner. Three day advance reservations are required and some restrictions apply. See blackout dates below.
RegisterHave your schedule and payment information ready and register below on this website at least three days before you plan to travel. Upon registration confirmation, you will be given a link to Amtrak’s website.
PurchaseFollow the instructions and link provided to Amtrak’s website and purchase your ticket. You must select a qualifying route and date to be eligible for the discount. There is no promotional code for use at a later time and you may not use the discount for purchase on board the train, at any station or to purchase of a gift certificate.
ExperienceUse your train ticket for discounted transportation, hotels, attractions and activities. See Santa Barbara Car Free Experience. Enjoy!
This offer is valid for sale through December 19, 2020 for travel between January 4, 2020 and December 22, 2020 on the Pacific Surfliner or San Joaquin and associated thruway buses (except not valid on the 7000-8999 thruway series) to or from any Amtrak station in Santa Barbara County.
Discount is NOT available for travel on the dates listed here:
- January 3-5, 2020
- February 14 and 17, 2020
- April 10 and 13, 2020
- May 22, 2020
- July 3, 2020
- September 4 and 7, 2020
- November 24-25 and 28-30, 2020
Offer is valid for 20 percent off of the best available regular adult fare, subject to availability. The discount will only be applied when the “adult” passenger type is selected. The offer may not be combined with any other discounts. Up to one (1) child age (2-12) may accompany each adult at half the regular (full, not discounted) adult rail fare. This offer is valid for coach seats; upgrade to business class accommodations are available upon full payment of accommodation charges. Once travel has begun, no changes to the itinerary are permitted. Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice, other restrictions may apply.
See Official Terms and Conditions below. For train schedules and general information, see Amtrak.com.REGISTER NOW
- Exclusively available at Amtrak.com via a link after registering at www.SantaBarbaraCarFree.org.
- Valid for 20% off the regular (full) adult rail fare.
- Valid for sale January 1, 2020 – December 19, 2020.
- Valid for travel January 4 – December 22, 2020.
- Blackout dates: January 3-5, 2020, February 14 and 17, 2020, April 10 and 13, 2020, May 22, 2020, July 3, 2020, September 4 and September 7, 2020, November 24-25 and 28-30, 2020.
- Advance reservations are required a minimum of three (3) days prior to travel.
- Valid for travel on the Pacific Surfliner and associated Thruways, except not valid on the 7000-8999 Thruway Series.
- Valid for travel to/from the following Santa Barbara County Stations only: Carpinteria, Santa Barbara, University of California Santa Barbara, Goleta, Guadalupe, Lompoc, Surf, Solvang, Santa Maria and Buellton.
- Up to one (1) child (ages 2 – 12) may accompany each adult at half the regular (full) adult rail fare.
- Children and infants must travel with an adult who is at least 18 years or older.
- Valid for Coach seats; upgrade to Business Class is available upon full payment of applicable accommodation charges.
- Not valid for sleeper accommodation upgrades.
- Seating is limited, seats may not be available on all trains at all times.
- Fares are subject to availability.
- In addition to the discount restrictions, this offer is also subject to any restrictions, blackouts and refund rules that apply to the type of fare purchased.
- Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice.
- Not combinable with any other discount offer.
- Once travel has begun, no changes to the itinerary are permitted.
- Other restrictions may apply.